CAPITAL POWER KEEPHILLS 3 SUPERCRITICAL BOILER
October 3, 2017
Metalogic was awarded the Primary NDT Contract for Capital Power’s construction of Hitachi’s 450 Megawatt Supercritical coal-fired boiler, Keephills 3 (K3). In addition to requiring a turnkey service provider, the primary reason for the award was based on “Metalogic’s track record of reducing construction schedule bottlenecks and increasing asset reliability”.
Metalogic provided the following NDT services:
- Positive Material Identification
- Magnetic Particle Testing
- Liquid Penetrant Testing
- Hardness testing
- Q.A., Q.C.
- Data Management
In addition to conventional NDT services, Metalogic’s proprietary ultrasonic technology MetaPhase™ was applied to the following assets:
- Boiler Tubing
- High-Energy Piping
- Process Piping
- Structural Steel
- Storage Tanks
- Mine Equipment
- Replaced x-ray as the primary weld inspection technique.
- High temperature (400deg) phased-array inspection on High-Energy Piping.
- Inspection of rifled tubing with phased-array.
- Inspected Water Wall Tubes 100% (tangent) with phased-array.
- Eliminated construction trade bottlenecks by removing x-ray windows.
- Reduced risk of failure through increased P.O.D. on critical defects (cracks and non-fusion).
- Reduced repair rates through real-time inspection feedback to welders and innovative E.C.A.
- Significant overall reduction in construction costs.
- NDT services came in under budget.